Help please! Lock doesnt unlock, but it did earlier tonight!

Need help with the website or have any suggestions for improvements, submit your questions here.
newmark
Coin Op Group Regular
Coin Op Group Regular
Referred by?: Google

Help please! Lock doesnt unlock, but it did earlier tonight!

Post by newmark »

Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone can help me.......

I have a machine I was planning to site tomorrow, however I've gone to unlock the lid and it wont unlock - the key goes in the lock but it wont turn!

What is odd is that I know I am using the right key, and in fact I'm sure I've already unlocked it once tonight without any problems. I re-locked the lid, went to unlock it again later but now the lock wont budge. I've tried a bit of WD40, and tried to turn the key with a bit more force than usual (but not hard enough to break it) but still nothing!

Is it possible that a lock can suddenyl fail, just like that?

If it is, what is the best way to get in - I dont want to put it on site like that, so ideally want to get it sorted first. Is drilling the best way to go, then replacing the lock? I think I have a spare lock, but need to get the old one out first.

Thanks in advance, Mark.
Style
Coin Op Group Elite
Coin Op Group Elite
Area Covered: Milton Keynes
Machines Used: Sweet towers, toys, beavers, pringles
Referred by?: random

Re: Help please! Lock doesnt unlock, but it did earlier toni

Post by Style »

Try pushing down hard on the centre of the lid when you try and turn the key. Also turning the lid in the right dierction can pop the lid off on some towers. Otherwise its a drill.

But yes they can fail, but very rarely. ive never had it on a lid lock.

Good luck.
Siting Services
Coin Op Group Master
Coin Op Group Master
Referred by?: Snackmore

Re: Help please! Lock doesnt unlock, but it did earlier toni

Post by Siting Services »

Sometimes one of the pins which sit in the lock itself comes out and that will stop your key from working.

Look into the lock grooves (I presume this is a round key and not flat key?). Can you see tiny pins standing up? Check to see if one has come out of it's groove. Use a pin to get it back in and your key should then be able to unlock the lock. This sometimes happens if one of the pins come out of alignment say if the tower is turned upside down or falls over, always worth a check before investing into a new one.

Regards,

Barbara