Stolen Machines Forum?

Need help with the website or have any suggestions for improvements, submit your questions here.
Quinch
Coin Op Group Veteren
Coin Op Group Veteren
Referred by?: Google search for vending forums

Stolen Machines Forum?

Post by Quinch »

I just wondered if it would maybe be possible to create a forum for anyone to put information about stolen machines.

I had a tower nicked recently and have had a couple nicked in the past so thought it might be an idea to create a section where people could post descriptions/photos etc. I realise a lot of towers look similar but they can also have a variety of differences depending how old they are, what make etc. If there was a section people could check before buying a second hand tower it may make them harder for thieves to sell on.
Coin Operated Group
Site Admin
Site Admin
Area Covered: Birmingham, West Midlands
Machines Used: Arcade Machines, Quiz & Big Vendors
Referred by?: myself

Re: Stolen Machines Forum?

Post by Coin Operated Group »

I could do but it would only work if people marked there towers. Maybe a solder iron mark on the bases or something similar.
Regards Matt

www.easyvend.com
Quinch
Coin Op Group Veteren
Coin Op Group Veteren

Post by Quinch »

I agree that people need to mark their machines in some way so they can be identified, I engrave the little ridge around the coin tray door with my postcode using a modelling knife and also mark the machine with a permanent UV marker pen.

I think a forum would work because I would imagine nicked machines are generally sold in the local area due to the prohibitive costs of shipping them, if everyone who lost a machine put a description of any identifying marks and the region it was stolen from then anyone planning to buy second hand machines could check the forum to see if any had been stolen in their area before handing over any money.

It would at least make it more difficult for crooks to sell nicked machines, it might help recover the odd machine and it would protect potential buyers from paying money for stolen goods. The police don't seem to prioritise this kind of theft so why not help each other by keeping a look out for stolen machines.
Coin Operated Group
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you let the police know you know a stolen machine location and where owner is, plus the machine is marked, they will get involved as it bumps up their stats as completed cases I would have thought.
Regards Matt

www.easyvend.com
Quinch
Coin Op Group Veteren
Coin Op Group Veteren

Post by Quinch »

Sorry if I've got this wrong but do you mean hypothetically? Don't we need a forum or maybe just a 'sticky' in the Bulk, Tower and Toys Forum for people to list anything that's been stolen so others are made aware of stolen machines in the first place?

I reported the theft of my tower to the police and gave them a description but doubt they will have the time or manpower to actually go looking for it, that's why I thought a section here might help.
Style
Coin Op Group Elite
Coin Op Group Elite
Area Covered: Milton Keynes
Machines Used: Sweet towers, toys, beavers, pringles
Referred by?: random

Post by Style »

Sadly i think you are wasting your time. I have only ever got machines back where I have had a strong relationship with the site owners (normally pubs) and they have been able to track the culprits and get machines back. In reality when they are stolen they are probably normally smashed to get the money and product out.

Mind you I got a Pringles tower back last week that had been missing from a football club for a month. Pikeys had stolen it but the thief was a relative of a regular pikey who wanted to carry on drinking there. When I got the call to say it was back I went to collect it in trepidation. The only damage was it needed a new back plate and lock where the old one had been drilled. Obviously they could see the value in the machine! Oh it was light by about £60 and whatever stock was in it.
Quinch
Coin Op Group Veteren
Coin Op Group Veteren

Post by Quinch »

You're probably right, the chances of getting a machine back are not much but for reasons I won't go into now (a long story) I suspect the tower I had nicked may be sold on locally.

Come on Matt, put a Sticky in the Bulk, Tower and Toys Forum please!

It might achieve something right?
Coin Operated Group
Site Admin
Site Admin

I can add a stolen equipment forum prettuy easily I think, will have a mess about this week
Regards Matt

www.easyvend.com
Lynda at skavend
Coin Op Group Valued Contributor
Coin Op Group Valued Contributor
Area Covered: Stockport, Greater Manchester
Machines Used: Tower vend, sweet dispensers, ball dispensers
Referred by?: internet

Post by Lynda at skavend »

A stolen equipment forum is worth a try but in reality the warning signs are always there for the buyer (no keys, no locks, the seller has no history of working as a vending operator, no knowledge of where to buy the stock etc); it's simply down to whether the purchaser chooses to ask questions or turn a blind eye and grab a bargain.
Listing the theft is worth a try, but in reality I suspect that anyone on this forum can already recognise a stolen machine and I would hope are not the type to continue with the purchase.

My experience is that there are two types of machine thief.

The opportunist who does a runner with the machine and simply smashes it to pieces in order to get at the cash

or

the shopkeeper who realises the value of the machine and carefully drills out the locks, takes the cash and then sells the machine through a relative via an online auction site

I've experienced both and its the smashed machines that hurt the most.
The chancer who tries to sell it online is easily located and the machine recovered. It's just a matter of lost stock and cash but at least you have a serviceable machine.
Coin Operated Group
Site Admin
Site Admin

Done now :D
Regards Matt

www.easyvend.com