Operator Directory

Need help with the website or have any suggestions for improvements, submit your questions here.
chcvending
Coin Op Group Valued Contributor
Area Covered: Blackpool, Preston Chorley
Machines Used: Pringles , tubz vending
Referred by?: Google search

Re: Operator Directory

Post by chcvending »

Vendingwarehouse wrote:Would this not be better as a page on the new national vending website. I would have thought that would be where people would go if they were looking for an operator. What you think Matt.
That was the reason for my suggestion ... but people will not definitely go to National Vending... they will use google for the initial search ... this is where having two directories could be handy. I intend linking to the completed National Vending directory once its done... citing it as a more authorititive up to date directory than my little effort.
I am doing a directory simply because I enjoy doing bits on the web and Im teaching myself stuff as I go along.... Learned how to divide a single map into seperate links today ... quite pleased with that... and if this site takes up the idea then great..... everyone who is listed will get twice the web representation and backlinks etc.... its all good for google rankings ( so Im told) but I`m happy to bow to any greater knowledge :D
Anyway just done a rough layout and any suggestions would be welcome...http://www.chcvending.co.uk/directory.php
Venderbase
Coin Op Group Elite
Coin Op Group Elite
Area Covered: 1
Machines Used: 1
Referred by?: 1

Post by Venderbase »

Is it flash? As its not showing a map on my phone.
chcvending

Post by chcvending »

Yes the map is SWF ... first problem encountered. I will look at the other options. See if I can replace it with something else. Thanks for pointing that out.
Venderbase
Coin Op Group Elite
Coin Op Group Elite

Post by Venderbase »

I don't know why people still insist on using Flash. It's a dyeing language.
Adobe where working on flash mobile but mid last year they canned it.
HTML5 will be all you need. So anyone getting a website done, try and avoid Flash.

Have a look at google maps. Check this out that my brother has done http://www.primarycarecommunity.net/member-map/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; its based off a database of members post codes and the google map is very customisable.
chcvending

Post by chcvending »

Venderbase wrote:I don't know why people still insist on using Flash. It's a dyeing language.
Adobe where working on flash mobile but mid last year they canned it.
HTML5 will be all you need. So anyone getting a website done, try and avoid Flash.

Have a look at google maps. Check this out that my brother has done http://www.primarycarecommunity.net/member-map/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; its based off a database of members post codes and the google map is very customisable.
Sometimes its not a case of insisting on using flash.... its a case of using whatever software you have to hand and can workk with. Flash is not dying just yet though... if just poorly supported on moblle devices. HTML 5 ... ??? Come on pal Im a complete novice with very limited understanding... Im having a go at something for fun....... Im not keen on google to be truthful ... collect too much information ta very much
Venderbase
Coin Op Group Elite
Coin Op Group Elite

Post by Venderbase »

Lol ok calm down was just trying to help!!
Flash is poorly supported on mobile because it's very processor hungry. The support isnt going to improve, it'll get worse and worse. On that basis, yes flash is dying.
HTML5 is a major overhaul and enhancement of the current HTML standard and with CSS3 etc.. you can do anything flash could do but it's already got better support.
Google Maps API doesn't collect information from you. It's a set of tools you can freely use to create maps on your website and works pretty much in every browser and mobile.

ps. Google couldn't possibly want to collect any more information about you, as they already know it all. They probably know more about you than you do.
chcvending

Post by chcvending »

Venderbase wrote:Lol ok calm down was just trying to help!!
Flash is poorly supported on mobile because it's very processor hungry. The support isnt going to improve, it'll get worse and worse. On that basis, yes flash is dying.
HTML5 is a major overhaul and enhancement of the current HTML standard and with CSS3 etc.. you can do anything flash could do but it's already got better support.
Google Maps SDK doesn't collect information from you. It's a set of tools you can freely use to create maps on your website and works pretty much in every browser and mobile.

ps. Google couldn't possibly want to collect any more information about you, as they already know it all. They probably know more about you than you do.
Im extremely calm to be honest... I dont use any mobile devices so often forget about poor accessibility and the lack of flash support...... ALL help is appreciated thankyou very much ... dont understand why you thought I was worked up lol.... :? you probably know more about me than I do !! Whenever I see the abbreiviation SDK I break out in a cold sweat.... most development and software applications are way above my head... but I`ll have a look at it .. hopefully I`ll be pleasantly surprised
Venderbase
Coin Op Group Elite
Coin Op Group Elite

Post by Venderbase »

Sorry, maybe all the ... and ??? made it look a bit tense lol.

I actually meant Google API not SDK. SDK's are a bunch of tools to help you develop things, nothing to be frightened of.
API's are just a bunch of codes to help you connect to something, in this case Googles Map service.
Again, nothing to be scared of. They are normally well documented and there will be tons of help just a search away. You might even be able to download a HTML page all ready to go for you to have a play with.
chcvending

Post by chcvending »

I think I managed to make a html version.. tables and spacer gifs etc... Im goint to try it shortly on the server...... Im no good with tech stuff the simpler the better .... hence my wife !!

Im glad she doesnt read this
Snackmore
Site Admin
Site Admin
Area Covered: Leicestershire

Post by Snackmore »

I have no bloody idea what either of you are talking about, we are getting electricity in outr village soon! :crazy:
Steve

Snackmore Vending

Fully managed vending services

Drinks | Snacks | Sweets | Toys | Rides | Washroom

www.snackmore.co.uk