Not for me?

Introduce yourself to the vending and coin operated community
MarkAnf
Referred by?: google search

Not for me?

Post by MarkAnf »

Hi
Many thanks to all the responses I got on my previous topic 'total newbie - advice please' but, they have served to make me reconsider this kind of 'tower' business as a viable venture. It seems to me the outlay, risk & return simply does not make sense & I can't see how without massive outlay (ie 100 towers) how one can make anything like a decent living?
However, I am still considering a low-cost/risk venture which is reasonably easily managed etc. I say this in comparison to something like a 'Snap-On' franchise which involves massive financial outlay, thousands of pounds in stock & huge commitment.
I live in Hull and would like to work around my area. As previously stated I'm willing to work 40 hours+ a week & can raise some initial outlay.
Does anyone have any suggestions of something that may be viable and suitable for me to consider?
Thanks Mark
Coin Operated Group
Site Admin
Site Admin
Area Covered: Birmingham, West Midlands
Machines Used: Arcade Machines, Quiz & Big Vendors
Referred by?: myself

Re: Not for me?

Post by Coin Operated Group »

I think its the same for any known franchise, many of them claim huge profits but seldom produce. Even a Mcdonalds franchise doesn't make the owner profits you would think and I know a Subway franchisee can be another example of very low profits for owner.

The one good thing about the vending is the minimal cost and pretty low risk as you have your initial equipment and stock which is quite good in comparison to a major franchise.

How much stock and machinery are they offering nowadays anyway?
Regards Matt

www.easyvend.com
MarkAnf
Referred by?: google search

Post by MarkAnf »

Well according to their site its 75k initial for training, van, stock etc. but you have to upkeep a massive van replace stock ongoing. Gonna take some recouping I reckon!
PabloV8
Coin Op Group Veteren
Coin Op Group Veteren
Referred by?: Browsing internet

Post by PabloV8 »

Hi Mark,

I think you should give it a try.

If you read the article that Matt provided the link to, you have to take on board that this was a worse case scenario and was intended to provide an insight to the business, warts and all.

As it stands, yes, it is a gamble, yes, there are risks, yes, it can be a hard slog at first - but once you get there!

Own boss!
Cash income from onset!
Very little bad debt!
Good supplier support!
Great opportunity to expand!

Of course you may think what does he know and how can he understand my predicament?

I retired from education in my Fifties, so get a cracking pension and a military pension so do not need any income in all reality - so I still needed to do something but what?

I was going to start:

A wedding car company - advised against that!
A mini supermarket - advised to really stay away from that!
Looked at several public houses - the amount closing down put paid to that!
A small car showroom - advised against that!

Then looked at franchises such as:

Papa John
Subway
McDonalds
To name but a few!

Then stumbled on tubz vending website and liked what I viewed - spoke to a couple of operators, then joined in this forum and asked many questions and received fabulous help and information, so jumped aboard. Have a look at all my post/questions.

Been doing this just over a year now and can see light at the end of the tunnel. Bought a small nearly new van last February before starting and have never looked back. Sure it has not always been roses, but I am starting to get there. I do have another small business in the IT world, so this has helped financially.

I would hasten to suggest:

1. For sure give it a try.
2. Do not borrow money in the form of a loan to start otherwise you will struggle.
3. I know the Hull area and I am sure that you have plenty of business in that area to make a go of it, as it is one of if not the biggest port in the country.
4. Do not buy too much stock, I did and scrapped some of it as I did not have enough sites to get rid of it!
5. You have this forum to ask questions and to seek help and advice, use it to your advantage.

Do I regret what I have done, not at all, I get out and about (which was the objective) and meet many people and as a bonus will start earning once the business pays me back my original investment. Now, to put that into perspective, I do not want an income as such as it only goes in tax so I guess next year the business will start replacing a car for me and the wife etc.

Oh, the real reason I started was to build up a business for my son. He has told me that he does not want to do it, so I guess I shall be selling of my business in a couple of years in small blocks. Does not help you as I am a couple of hundred miles from Hull LOL!
PabloV8
Coin Op Group Veteren
Coin Op Group Veteren

Post by PabloV8 »

Hi Mark,

I think you should give it a try.

If you read the article that Matt provided the link to, you have to take on board that this was a worse case scenario and was intended to provide an insight to the business, warts and all.

As it stands, yes, it is a gamble, yes, there are risks, yes, it can be a hard slog at first - but once you get there!

Own boss!
Cash income from onset!
Very little bad debt!
Good supplier support!
Great opportunity to expand!

Of course you may think what does he know and how can he understand my predicament?

I retired from education in my Fifties, so get a cracking pension and a military pension so do not need any income in all reality - so I still needed to do something but what?

I was going to start:

A wedding car company - advised against that!
A mini supermarket - advised to really stay away from that!
Looked at several public houses - the amount closing down put paid to that!
A small car showroom - advised against that!

Then looked at franchises such as:

Papa John
Subway
McDonalds
To name but a few!

Then stumbled on tubz vending website and liked what I viewed - spoke to a couple of operators, then joined in this forum and asked many questions and received fabulous help and information, so jumped aboard. Have a look at all my post/questions.

Been doing this just over a year now and can see light at the end of the tunnel. Bought a small nearly new van last February before starting and have never looked back. Sure it has not always been roses, but I am starting to get there. I do have another small business in the IT world, so this has helped financially.

I would hasten to suggest:

1. For sure give it a try.
2. Do not borrow money in the form of a loan to start otherwise you will struggle.
3. I know the Hull area and I am sure that you have plenty of business in that area to make a go of it, as it is one of if not the biggest port in the country.
4. Do not buy too much stock, I did and scrapped some of it as I did not have enough sites to get rid of it!
5. You have this forum to ask questions and to seek help and advice, use it to your advantage.

Do I regret what I have done, not at all, I get out and about (which was the objective) and meet many people and as a bonus will start earning once the business pays me back my original investment. Now, to put that into perspective, I do not want an income as such as it only goes in tax so I guess next year the business will start replacing a car for me and the wife etc.

Oh, the real reason I started was to build up a business for my son. He has told me that he does not want to do it, so I guess I shall be selling of my business in a couple of years in small blocks. Does not help you as I am a couple of hundred miles from Hull LOL!
PabloV8
Coin Op Group Veteren
Coin Op Group Veteren

Post by PabloV8 »

Sorry, only submitted once, honest!
Style
Coin Op Group Elite
Coin Op Group Elite
Area Covered: Milton Keynes
Machines Used: Sweet towers, toys, beavers, pringles
Referred by?: random

Post by Style »

I dont think there are may businessess where the return is as fast as it can be in vending.

10 x 2nd hand machines, stocked and sited around £1500. With half decent siting they are going to make you £20 pm each, £200 pm total profit, you get your £1500 back in 7.5 months.
part-time-operator
Coin Op Group Veteren
Coin Op Group Veteren
Referred by?: Reader

Post by part-time-operator »

exactly, but there's also not many people who can live off £200 pm that's why so many fail and you have to be able to feed yourself in the mean time and somehow get money to grow.
Coin Operated Group
Site Admin
Site Admin
Area Covered: Birmingham, West Midlands
Machines Used: Arcade Machines, Quiz & Big Vendors
Referred by?: myself

Post by Coin Operated Group »

Most large franchises expect you yo factor in a working capital which would include your wages. I suppose you need to factor in 20k on top then for a years wages lol
Regards Matt

www.easyvend.com
PabloV8
Coin Op Group Veteren
Coin Op Group Veteren

Post by PabloV8 »

Mark and has not replied, perhaps he has already done a runner?

If he wants an instant wage, get a 'Post Office', and install a couple of towers as a sideline :rofl: