NEW Pound Coin

Introduce yourself to the vending and coin operated community
alexlg
Coin Op Group Valued Contributor
Coin Op Group Valued Contributor
Area Covered: Hampshire
Machines Used: none yet! (I want to be an operator)
Referred by?: I googled 'tubz vending'

Re: NEW Pound Coin

Post by alexlg »

Blimey - I'm glad I never thought I had to dismantle a whole machine, just to remove the coin mech!
PabloV8
Coin Op Group Veteren
Coin Op Group Veteren
Referred by?: Browsing internet

Post by PabloV8 »

I am very honest - until Andy & Pete stepped in I could only see that the way to change lock mechanism was to strip machine, how else would you get the mechanism out?

Now I know thanks to the forum and indeed Andy & Pete, saved me a whole load of hastle.

Forum is worth it's weight in Gold.

Cheers. :thumbup: :wave:

Guess I must have been the only only person in the universe that did not know the lock mechanism came out in situ!

:Jig:
choice vending
Coin Op Group Veteren
Coin Op Group Veteren
Area Covered: walsall, north bham, A5 area
Machines Used: towers, bulk vendors, kiddies rides, football tabl
Location: Walsall, Bham, tamworth, cannock,and surrounding areas in the West Midlands

Post by choice vending »

The new pound coin issue is the next major challenge for my established vending business. I have about 40 spare coin mechs which will come in very handy as i can do large batches of coin carrier swap overs. The swap over wont take too long i don't think? But there will be other issues i foresee.

1. timing - The coin swap over is going to take several months. I would say its best to swap the mechs over half way thorough this process when there are more new pound coins than old ones.

2. Labeling - having swapped the coin mech over i believe we will need a label on the machine informing the public that this machine now takes the new coins.

3. loss of sales?? i'm sure we will have a downturn of sales in this swap over period.

4. unforeseen technical issues. I'm sure there will be something technical to trip us up.

A few questions i would like to know in advance are

how much is the coin carrier going to cost?
will a clemport coin carrier be the same as a Chinese one?
how long will the phasing out of the old coins take?
Any compensation from the government?

Its going to be a challenge and i will make sure i am ready for it

Regards Brian
PabloV8
Coin Op Group Veteren
Coin Op Group Veteren
Referred by?: Browsing internet

Post by PabloV8 »

Hi Brian,

Agree with everything you say.

I am hopeful that the change over is in the winter months when all sales are slower. Like you, I intend to have 20+ mechs ready for swap-over. Now that I can remove the mech in seconds :whistle: it might make the transition smoother. In the locations where I have two machines I shall have one of each. For some sites I may try and put in a second machine with new mechs etc.

I guess it will be a time of trial and tribulations.

Happy munching.
Coin Operated Group
Site Admin
Site Admin
Area Covered: Birmingham, West Midlands
Machines Used: Arcade Machines, Quiz & Big Vendors
Referred by?: myself

Post by Coin Operated Group »

Guys, don't worry about the changeover of coins too much. In big vending machines we have had this several times , first new 50p , then new 5p & 10p now £1 . It's a gradual process and the new pounds will take a few years to phase out old pounds. So it'll you just aim to change mechs when machine breaks etc or best sites first. It doesn't have to be done overnight!! I still have machines out there on old 5 & 10ps and I know many councils haven't changed there parking meters to new coinage yet. Slowly slowly :-)
Regards Matt

www.easyvend.com