My first couple of months in vending (long post)

General vending talk
Tufty
Coin Op Group Regular
Coin Op Group Regular
Referred by?: Barbara

My first couple of months in vending (long post)

Post by Tufty »

Since joining the forum I have been a pretty active poster, 99% of the time my posts involve asking for help or advice and without fail someone has come along and taken the trouble to reply to me and help me out so I thought I would make a post about how I am getting on and the progress I am making on my little vending journey. It will be quite a long post so apologies in advance!

Roughly two months ago I took the plunge and bought 10 towers and a wire bar rack from a former tubz vending franchisee who had been finding it hard to make things work financially. He had a couple of decent sites which I took over but the rest of the towers were bundled in to my car until they found a new home. I soon had Barbara on the case and she quickly found me the 5 sites I had requested as well as offering me a lot of tips and guidance. I decided to hold off on placing more towers initially and ended up trying to diversify slightly by buying good condition beavers and a batch of not so good condition Tomy machines which were in various states of disrepair with missing parts,old coin mechs etc.

I spent the Christmas holidays buying parts and some stock for the machines and then reality hit that I had been speculating a lot more than I was accumulating! I got the machines at decent enough prices but I made a major mistake by not realising how much it would actually cost to fix and fill them all! I was very quickly running out of cash so my first real collection of the sites that I bought over and that Barbara provided was a very welcome cash injection. I am aware of the honeymoon period on sites so I won't expect it to be the norm but all but one sold way above my expectations. The one poor site sold a grand total of 2 tubs and one was me when I placed the machine! On paper the site looks fine,it is a good sized salon with plenty of customers and staff,machine placed well but for one reason or another it just didn't sell anything. I thought it must have been broken but the girls said nobody took an interest in it. I will give that one another month and hope it does better but if not I will be back site finding. You can't win them all.

The money from the collections meant I could push on and manage to fully stock some of the Beavers and also start buying some of the spares needed for the Tomy machines. Once the Beavers were ready I started the site finding. Having the advantage of local knowledge and a fair chunk of beginners luck i managed to get agreements for 6 bulk machines and 4 towers on my first day. I also got a number of maybes for towers. This created a bit of a problem as I didn't have enough towers! Not wanting to lose my momentum I did a bit of a stupid thing and rushed out and bought the first towers I could find for sale locally. In hindsight this was stupid,the machines were cheap but when I got them home they were a lot more rundown and shabby than I had realised,it made me appreciate what a good deal I got with the first batch I bought which had been kept in very nice condition. I would rather have paid more and have good machines than now having the hassle of fixing and repairing these. It has set me back a bit and dented my confidence a bit when pitching to sites as I feel these are not quite perfect if that makes sense? After some spare parts,elbow grease and advice from the forum I got a few up to standard and placed , the rest are waiting the next pay day so I can stock them up and get going again.

So my current situation is that I have about 50machines in various states,they are a pretty even mix of towers,bulk and toy. I am not comfortable spending more money on stock and parts just now as I have already bitten off a little more than I can chew so I think the plan is to sell off a few machines and use that cash plus the next collections to get everything fully stocked and looking good. I have a few places I would like to try and target for toy and bulk machines but I think I would use Sitefinding services again in the future for towers. I am a stay at home dad and was lucky over Christmas as my wife was off and able to watch the kids giving me the chance to site find,normally I don't have this option. Also any I have placed myself have been on 20% commission as I'm just not confident pitching the charity angle. Barbara is the expert and I think her prices are very fair for the service and advice she gives so I am hoping she will be willing to help me out again in the future.

I stay in quite a rural area but have been trying to develop a circular route which so far is working out ok.Hopefully in the next month or two as cash reserves build up again I will have about 40 machines stocked and on sites. In hindsight I definitely would build one machine at a time but unfortunately I am prone to getting carried away!

Some general bits and pieces that I forgot to include above!...luckily had no jams or machine problems on site.I wish we had a more eco friendly alternative to plastic tubs and capsules.I am still ordering exclusively from tubz vending and so far I have no complaints at all. Beaver machines are incredible quality and my favourite to deal with.My best customers are my kids.Anyone I have dealt with on this forum or met with in real life when buying machines have always been more than willing to help and offer advice. It is quite refreshing to see as obviously it is a competitive industry but people still seem to go out of their way to help others. I have a huge list of people on the forum I already owe at least one drink to and really appreciate Matt and all the regular guys who post and help make it such a Welcoming place.

Apologies again for the ramble,I am sure plenty of you are snoring by now ;)
Snackmore
Site Admin
Site Admin
Area Covered: Leicestershire
Referred by?: Google search

Re: My first couple of months in vending (long post)

Post by Snackmore »

Keep at it mate, by year 6 I started to see a return :rofl:
Steve

Snackmore Vending

Fully managed vending services

Drinks | Snacks | Sweets | Toys | Rides | Washroom

www.snackmore.co.uk 

Style
Coin Op Group Elite
Coin Op Group Elite
Area Covered: Milton Keynes
Machines Used: Sweet towers, toys, beavers, pringles
Referred by?: random

Post by Style »

Interesting. Sounds like you had a quite competitive, cheap start. We got well and truly ripped off when we started.
Siting Services
Coin Op Group Master
Coin Op Group Master
Referred by?: Snackmore

Post by Siting Services »

Great post Tufty

I am sure your post will be nectar to the newbies considering entering the market, a very honest and frank review. I am pleased to hear that you have had good results from the sites and I can honestly say your area was 'tough' due to saturation. Just goes to show, being persistent and determined does pay off and well done to you!

Kind regards,

Barbara
Tufty
Coin Op Group Regular
Coin Op Group Regular

Post by Tufty »

Thanks for the replies guys,it must have been hard when the towers were so expensive.I have been lucky that I have had a lot of very good advice regarding prices. Before I joined The forum Barbara gave me some great tips and advised on the going rate for towers and I have been pestering guys like Style and Ade who helped me out with the Tomy stuff. It is very very early days but I wanted to be in a position that if I can't make it work financially then I can hopefully sell the machines on in the future without making a huge loss. I am actually already getting a few ready for sale after my over enthusiastic purchases meant I had no cash left for stock.oops!

I got made redundant from a job in finance and ended up working as a postie. I dropped this down to just a Saturday shift and became the stay at home dad as my wife was keen to go back to teaching and now we have relocated I have stopped working completely.ideally I would like to get in a position where I can make a profit of roughly £250 per month which would match what I used to earn doing the Saturday shifts and make me feel like I at least contribute something to the bills. If I am totally honest a lot of it is a bit of a social thing for me as spending every day in baby groups and watching in the night garden is making me very dull. This at least gets me away from the kids for a wee while,meeting people and hopefully teaching me some useful business lessons along the way.

On a totally different note,does anyone operate slush puppy machines? I bought my daughter a drink from one yesterday and it was £3.60!! I almost fainted! The profit in those must be huge? I don't know all the legalities or machine costs etc but I imagine if we got a decent summer it could be a real money maker?
Tufty
Coin Op Group Regular
Coin Op Group Regular

Post by Tufty »

Siting Services wrote:Great post Tufty

I am sure your post will be nectar to the newbies considering entering the market, a very honest and frank review. I am pleased to hear that you have had good results from the sites and I can honestly say your area was 'tough' due to saturation. Just goes to show, being persistent and determined does pay off and well done to you!

Kind regards,

Barbara
Thanks Barbara, trying site finding myself definitely made me realise how hard your job is. If I didn't have a bit of local knowledge of where to target I would have been clueless. Also I was giving commission on every site so for you to get sites to take towers on a charity basis showed me you are definitely the expert. I will be in touch again in the future once I start bringing money in rather than spending it :lol:
Siting Services
Coin Op Group Master
Coin Op Group Master
Referred by?: Snackmore

Post by Siting Services »

Hi Tufty,

Just keep at it. Site finding is very tough and you do need very thick skin to take rejection. Guess what, the more no's you get the more yes's you get! In other words, don't give up. Always happy to help if you get stuck with sites, speak soon.

Regards,

Barbara
Tufty
Coin Op Group Regular
Coin Op Group Regular

Post by Tufty »

Siting Services wrote:Hi Tufty,

Just keep at it. Site finding is very tough and you do need very thick skin to take rejection. Guess what, the more no's you get the more yes's you get! In other words, don't give up. Always happy to help if you get stuck with sites, speak soon.

Regards,

Barbara
:thumbup:
Coin Operated Group
Site Admin
Site Admin
Area Covered: Birmingham, West Midlands
Machines Used: Arcade Machines, Quiz & Big Vendors
Referred by?: myself

Post by Coin Operated Group »

It makes a nice read to hear from start ups that have gone well.

I remember placing my first machines over 10 years ago and I still get excited when I get new sites.

All the best
Regards Matt

www.easyvend.com
Tufty
Coin Op Group Regular
Coin Op Group Regular

Post by Tufty »

Thanks Matt, glad to hear you still get the buzz.

Very early days for me but I'm hoping I can make it work, the forum is such a wonderful resource,you do a really great job with it :)