'Charity Sweets' Rip Off

General vending talk
Quinch
Coin Op Group Veteren
Coin Op Group Veteren
Referred by?: Google search for vending forums

'Charity Sweets' Rip Off

Post by Quinch »

I came across an 'honesty box' company the other day that I have not heard of before and was quite surprised when I read the packet. They are simply called Charity Sweets and the message on the packets says "we aim to donate 15p from the sale of each packet of sweets to charity" but does not explain what happens if they do not achieve their 'aim'.

I have come across some pretty wild claims on honesty boxes before about what percentage of profits goes to charity but none that are so vague as to say they 'aim' to donate a certain amount so I had a look at their website. The website explains that 15% of revenue "less any shortages" is donated to the charity they support and goes on to explain "shortages" means bags taken without payment, in other words - any losses they have due to theft come out of the charity donation not their own profits.

The company is privately owned, has it's own employees rather than selling franchises, and claims to sell a million bags a year so must make considerable profits but still takes any losses from the percentage it donates to charity?
I had assumed most honesty box operators donated a percentage of every bag sold to the charity they support and took the hit from any losses on their own profits.
Style
Coin Op Group Elite
Coin Op Group Elite
Area Covered: Milton Keynes
Machines Used: Sweet towers, toys, beavers, pringles
Referred by?: random

Re: 'Charity Sweets' Rip Off

Post by Style »

I always wonder how much they lose, it must be a high percentage. Does anyone have experience???

Most of the ones I come accross claim to give 67% of net profit. So it could be nothing.
Coin Operated Group
Site Admin
Site Admin
Area Covered: Birmingham, West Midlands
Machines Used: Arcade Machines, Quiz & Big Vendors
Referred by?: myself

Post by Coin Operated Group »

what was the name of the company?
Regards Matt

www.easyvend.com
Quinch
Coin Op Group Veteren
Coin Op Group Veteren
Referred by?: Google search for vending forums

Post by Quinch »

They are called Charity Sweets, pretty basic name but I assume it's because they raise money for different charities. If you Google them their website is top of the list, it says they raise money for Mencap at present but the box I saw said Teenage Cancer Trust.
Style
Coin Op Group Elite
Coin Op Group Elite
Area Covered: Milton Keynes
Machines Used: Sweet towers, toys, beavers, pringles
Referred by?: random

Post by Style »

I see loads of those http://www.charitysweets.co.uk/ . So basically they say if they sell £100 they would donate £15 but if they have 15 bags stolen they wont donate anything.

Thats why I try and get most of my sites on commission