Self packed christmas chocolates in vending towers

General vending talk
alexlg
Coin Op Group Valued Contributor
Area Covered: Hampshire
Machines Used: none yet! (I want to be an operator)
Referred by?: I googled 'tubz vending'

Self packed christmas chocolates in vending towers

Post by alexlg »

Hi - Does anyone here buy tubs/boxes of e.g. Quality Street, Roses, Celebrations, Heroes and re-pack? Which sells best?
Asda has been doing 420g boxes of Cadbury Eclairs @ £3 for two i.e. £1.50 each. I LOVE dairy toffee and chocolate that doesn't melt, so I've 'invested' in this quite 'heavily'!! :-)
My customers loved Toblerone Tinys last year, with the white and dark chocolate versions, but I can't find any at less than £3/box this year which makes them quite expensive to self pack and I might go back to the pre-packed Mini Toblerone from my usual suppliers. Last year Asda did the Tinys @ £2/box and I bought LOADS!
xx
Mark@YorVend
Coin Op Group Veteren
Coin Op Group Veteren
Area Covered: york
Machines Used: clenport
Referred by?: google

Re: Self packed christmas chocolates in vending towers

Post by Mark@YorVend »

Terry Chocolate Orange Segsations, they absolutely fly out!! They have just come back into Tesco at £3 a box, from what I remember they make up 8 or 9 tubs if you put 5 in them.
If anyone wants any machine stickers for these I would be happy to send you out a few if you PM me, as I have loads left printed from last Christmas :)
Style
Coin Op Group Elite
Coin Op Group Elite
Area Covered: Milton Keynes
Machines Used: Sweet towers, toys, beavers, pringles
Referred by?: random

Post by Style »

Mark,

8 or 9 tubs for £3 plus the cost of the pot. Surely you are better off buying pre-filled tubs.

Andy
Mark@YorVend
Coin Op Group Veteren
Coin Op Group Veteren
Area Covered: york
Machines Used: clenport
Referred by?: google

Post by Mark@YorVend »

Style wrote:Mark,

8 or 9 tubs for £3 plus the cost of the pot. Surely you are better off buying pre-filled tubs.

Andy
Now I think about it I'm sure it's at least 9 tubs (it's been a few months since), so to fill a case worth it will cost £33 in sweets and £7 in tubs, so £40.
But forgive me for pointing out aren't almost all the chocolate lines sold by Hurley's and tubz vending over £40 when the VAT is added?

Although it's not really any cheaper than say putting Toblerone in, if your getting bad sales and need something new it's worth the extra effort, as when ever I have done these they sell really well in most sites!!
I've had a conversation with several other operators, about what lines to stock, whether to use product stickers, and how expensive should self packing pots be?
The best way to choose which lines to stock is to try all and see what sells best. If you work out the margins on everything from Cola bottles to Skittles you will know when to swap lines to increase sales.

For example Cola bottles are about 30p so after 20% commission that's 50p gross profit on a sale, but if your tower only ever sells 3 or 4 that's £1.50 - £2.00 per month profit. Whereas if you swap it for Moaom at 45p a pot, but sell 7 or 8 a month, that's £2.45 - £2.80 a month. Then again if you swap to Moaom and only sell 5 or 6, that's only £1.75 - £2.10, so you would be better off sticking to cola bottles!

Product stickers are a must... no if's no but's... I have Printed.com make mine for the seasonal self packing stuff.

Just my opinion though :)
alexlg

Post by alexlg »

Terry's Segsations are £2 a box in Asda today, so fill your boots! :-)
I reckon 5 to a pot, making the contents of each pot cost 25-26p (38-40 Segsations per £2 box i.e. just under 8 pots' worth). My pots are costing me 10p inc VAT and delivery, so 36p per filled pot. If they turnover well - I reckon its worth my time. It doesn't take long to fill 96 pots in the warmth of my lounge, listening to an audiobook. Half an hour if I put my mind to it. Mind you, mine is a very small business compared to a lot of operators on here. If I'm honest, my 'operating' time doesn't NET me more than £10/hr and that's on a good day. But considering I can work when, how and if I want, I don't reckon that's too bad.
Ade
Coin Op Group Grand Master
Coin Op Group Grand Master
Area Covered: east and west midlands
Machines Used: kiddie rides, sweet and toy vend
Referred by?: M.Slater

Post by Ade »

alex ive tried all the tub chocolates over the years at xmas and heroes is easily the fastest seller

Ade
alexlg

Post by alexlg »

I did a £100 online Sainsbury's order last week, my first so £20 off at the checkout and only £1 for delivery: 30 boxes of 420g Cadbury Eclairs @ £1.50/box and 30 boxes of Toblerone Tinys @ £2 box. I thought they might call me when it came to picking the order and say 'we're not wholesalers' but it all went fine and they delivered the lot within the allocated 1hr time slot. Result. :-)