Developing a new vending machine controller?

Got a vending technical question you need answered?
mawg
Referred by?: google

Developing a new vending machine controller?

Post by mawg »

I want to develop a new vending machine controller and would like some advice.

I made a start 5 years ago, using MDB on an Atmel board, and go the code complete and tested, but was let down by the mechanical guy. I gave up the idea, but would like to try again and am not adverse to a fresh start, as things have probably moved on in the last five years, I am asking for general advice.

Should I go with MDB or CC talk (or, is there a better alternative)?
- which is more common?
- which has the cheaper peripherals?
- which has the most varied peripherals?
- which is easier to develop for?

I am a software developer of a few decades experience, but not the greatest with hardware, so thought that I would ask some advice here. I have another friend who can handle the mechanical aspects of the hardware, but he is unsure about other choices.

I am looking to use commonly available, well supported and affordable components wherever possible.

I would prefer to use Raspberry Pi, maybe Arduino, or another cheap, well supported board.

One hitch might be the 9 data-bit UART which is required for MDB. Any solution would, of course, have to have a device driver.

I plan to code in C and would like a board with good C support, with appropriate s/w libraries, and supported by a common IDE, such as Eclipse, or by its own IDE.

I can go without an operating system , but would also be comfortable with Linux, FreeRTOS, etc. While an o/s is not strictly necessary, it may become so later, as I might add WiFi.

I realize that this is a lot to ask and rather vague, but most projects are at the start. Thanks in advance for any help, even if it is just URLs.
Coin Operated Group
Site Admin
Site Admin
Area Covered: Birmingham, West Midlands
Machines Used: Arcade Machines, Quiz & Big Vendors
Referred by?: myself

Re: Developing a new vending machine controller?

Post by Coin Operated Group »

mdb or executive are the only protocols I know, what is cc? I would love to help and get involved if I can, what is the controller for vending machine general controls or monitoring solutions etc? ? have 15 years experience in vending and plenty of spare machines etc for assistance of required. PM me if you like
Regards Matt

www.easyvend.com