Extending an M42 'Pringles' tower

Got a vending technical question you need answered?
Quinch
Coin Op Group Veteren
Coin Op Group Veteren
Referred by?: Google search for vending forums

Extending an M42 'Pringles' tower

Post by Quinch »

I had heard it was possible to extend a Clenport M42 by one level by putting the rod from an M81 in it so I thought I would give it a go.

Undoing the Union nut on the M81 was an absolute *****, looks like it takes a 18ml spanner but I only had 17 and 19's so I used an adjustable wrench, then an adjustable wrench and a hammer and eventually got it shifted.

I then tried to do the same with the M42 with the same level of difficulty, but after loosening the nut it just went round and round. I even tried gripping the rod (ooh-er missus) with pliers and trying to turn it while my mate held the nut with the wrench to stop it turning but that didn't work.

Anyone got any ideas why the Union nut on the M42 isn't shifting?

Also, would like to extend the M42 by two levels really, does anyone sell an extended rod for doing this?
Quinch
Coin Op Group Veteren
Coin Op Group Veteren

Re: Extending an M42 'Pringles' tower

Post by Quinch »

A quick update: I managed to remove the central threaded rod from the M42 and after re-reading the 'Tower Extensions' thread http://www.coinoperatedgroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=4463 I realised I actually need a threaded rod from a Chinese type M81.

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy the Chinese rods as spare parts?
tubzsnackz
Coin Op Group Regular
Coin Op Group Regular
Area Covered: within 10 miles of Staines.
Machines Used: Tower, Pringles

Post by tubzsnackz »

Just get some threadded rod and locking nut for the top. Make as high as you like. I have some 10 high. dab a little bit of superglue on the locking nut just to be sure.
Quinch
Coin Op Group Veteren
Coin Op Group Veteren

Post by Quinch »

Thanks for replying.

The problem is I don't have any spare rods myself, I was hoping somewhere might sell the rods as spare parts. I have asked tubz vending but no reply yet.
I can't use any old threaded rod because it has to taper at the top for the black ring to sit on it correctly.
Mark@YorVend
Coin Op Group Veteren
Coin Op Group Veteren
Area Covered: york
Machines Used: clenport
Referred by?: google

Post by Mark@YorVend »

As far as I know Hurley's still sell the extended rods for these, and also sell the extra sections. (£18 rod, £25 rod and segment) :thumbup:
Quinch
Coin Op Group Veteren
Coin Op Group Veteren

Post by Quinch »

I asked Hurley's but the only rods they sell only extend the tower by one segment/ring, don't really think it's worth the bother to add 7 extra pots.
tubz vending got back to me and they have the full length Chinese rods (79cm) so I ordered some of them.