Stolen machines that resurface

Got a vending technical question you need answered?
dorsetvending
Coin Op Group Grand Master
Area Covered: Dorset/Somerset/Wiltshire
Machines Used: Bulk/Towers/Pringles
Referred by?: Yes brother - Glenn Borthwick

Stolen machines that resurface

Post by dorsetvending »

Had a playcentre that had 4 of my machines in. Changed hands about 2 months ago. Went there about a month ago and the new owner said that machines had been removed by some gypos when they were heading into admin. He said the playcentre didn't actually go into admin and he took it on as a going concern. When I asked him to speak to the previous owners to track the gypos and the location of the machines he went very vague. He also said that the stress of going into admin had paid a terrible toll on them so I shouldn't contact them.

I thought that I would send a threatening legal letter to the previous owners and was in the process of sorting this out.

This morning I received a call. A chap from Somerset called to ask me if I was interested in buying a few machines as he had seen my website. He outlined what he had for sale and I told him I was not in the market for any new machines so recommended eBay after telling him the rough second hand value. I put the phone down and then the penny dropped. He probably had my bloody machines. I called back and asked him to send a few pics as I had a colleague who may be interested :liar: He hasn't got round to it yet, but hope he does. I also asked him whether he was scaling back his round or was a pub landlord selling off his machines. He said he did a bit of buying and selling. He said that he went to a bailiffs auction and picked these up, some with keys, some not.

I know my machines but the only discerning features are:

one has a dodgy coin drawer which means I have to use a load of coin bags jammed behind a bar.
the back of a machine has a normal lock, with a further bar across it that has a distinctive lock set up.

My question is:

How can I get the machines back without parting with my hard-earned? Police or civil matter?
glennborthwick
Coin Op Group Master
Coin Op Group Master
Area Covered: devon dorset somerset
Machines Used: bulk tower toy condoms

Re: Stolen machines that resurface

Post by glennborthwick »

if you have his phone number call him again and tell him that you think they might be your machines which have been stolen and can he keep all documentation from auction. Arrange to view them. Inform him you will have to tell the police they have been stolen for insurance purposes and give the police his phone number if he wont comply.
dorsetvending

Post by dorsetvending »

great advice thanks Glenn :thumbup:
Coin Operated Group
Site Admin
Site Admin
Area Covered: Birmingham, West Midlands
Machines Used: Arcade Machines, Quiz & Big Vendors
Referred by?: myself

Post by Coin Operated Group »

Also if you think they are yours and police involved he will have to prove where he bought them. Even better if he has put in an email or text he bought them at auction as he will have to explain which auction!! If he can't then police should be o. Your side
Regards Matt

www.easyvend.com
dorsetvending

Post by dorsetvending »

Update.....

Guy who bought machines appears genuine, in fact gave me information willingly. Called auction house and gave them lot number, auction date and name of guy that won the auction. I initialy believed the machines had been seized by bailiffs and their value was realised at auction. However it was a private seller which is a bit of an **** really. Auction house wont cough up his details. Data Protection bladdy bladdy blah! Cant see police getting involved. Guy who won auction says he has title of deed but willing to sell them to me for £200. Cheeky fecker...
Might take this one on chin but still couple of cards to play....including issuing site owner with full invoice for machines or settle with auction winner, their choice.
dorsetvending

Post by dorsetvending »

Auction winner has also stated willing to give me 14 days grace before he sells machines. However I am considering making it difficult for him to sell them by raising dispute with ebay and flagging up loss of machines on forum.
Coin Operated Group
Site Admin
Site Admin
Area Covered: Birmingham, West Midlands
Machines Used: Arcade Machines, Quiz & Big Vendors
Referred by?: myself

Post by Coin Operated Group »

There your machines get police involved doesnt matter if he won them at auction he will have to take that up with auction house. They will help just demand they send someone round ASAP. Im sure there are a couple of guys on here who could pm some details about what the police could do to help. :wink:
Regards Matt

www.easyvend.com
dorsetvending

Post by dorsetvending »

Cheers Matt

Please chaps if u have involved police successfully let me know by PM on what basis they were involved.
PGBrew
Coin Op Group Master
Coin Op Group Master
Area Covered: London & Home Countie
Machines Used: Bulk, Tower, Pringles & various toys
Referred by?: Sarah Hickman

Post by PGBrew »

Gavin,

Stop beating round the bush. Get up there, ID the machines, If their yours call the police and they will charge him or auction house with handling of stolen goods. If not buy them. You won't get em back sitting in front of a computer screen!!

Pete
dorsetvending

Post by dorsetvending »

Thats my next step Pete currently sat in cop shop. Using one of these new fangled smart phones so im out and about lol