Non vending or coin operated related chat goes here
rockhopper
Coin Op Group Apprentice
Coin Op Group Apprentice
Referred by?: browsing the web

Accessing coin mech

Post by rockhopper »

Hi all,
I don't use the forum very often as I only have a few machines, hopefully you'll forgive me for that and offer me some advice.
I've managed to change a few coin carriers on my towers, but I'm having problems with getting to the lever that releases the coin mech on others, I think they are Clenport, but am not sure (some of them are green!). I've shone a torch in but can't see the lever, it looks as though it's behind a plastic strip which is preventing me from reaching it.....maybe my fingers are too short! Any advice would be appreciated. If I do get the coin mechs off how do I get them back on?
Many thanks,
Gus
Style
Coin Op Group Elite
Coin Op Group Elite
Area Covered: Milton Keynes
Machines Used: Sweet towers, toys, beavers, pringles
Referred by?: random

Re: Accessing coin mech

Post by Style »

Ive never seen Green ones. I would suggest a photo of a tower so we can confirm its Clenport. I had some really old ones made by Laiv that I had to take the base to bits in order to access the coin mechs. (I still have 2 of them sited, they will be going in a skip on the 28th March) Assuming yours are Clenport it is just a case of feeling around and getting the "knack". I never have a problem and generally get them of in a couple of seconds but ive done it thousands of times. I know others have differing methods, ie use of spoon etc. But I just use the middle finger of my right hand.

Andy
OscarHarris
Coin Op Group Valued Contributor
Coin Op Group Valued Contributor
Referred by?: Google search

Post by OscarHarris »

Hi Gus,

I also have a green clenport machine with the same issue. I have 100's of towers and have various methods for releasing the leaver on the "trickier" machines. Like most operators I really don't have an issue doing this in the main and would consider myself reasonably experienced. However, I have to say, this single green clenport I have, has me beat trying to release the mech in the usual manor. I've tried all my usual tricks and then some, still no joy :thumbdown:

The only way I can think around the situation is to dismantle the tower from the top down and remove the mech that way. I know its not much help, I guess what I'm saying is I don't think you're doing anything wrong and there many not be a quick fix in this instance :x

Unless anyone else has also come across this and has found an easier solution, then I'd be interested too :P Until then I'll just leave it in the corner of my unit and pretend it doesn't exisit :whistle:
rockhopper
Coin Op Group Apprentice
Coin Op Group Apprentice

Post by rockhopper »

Thanks for the advice, I'll have another poke about. A couple of my red towers are also causing me the same problem. Might try a bent metal coat hanger. If that doesn't work I might be in the market for a few second hand towers.
Cheers, Gus
PGBrew
Coin Op Group Master
Coin Op Group Master
Area Covered: London & Home Countie
Machines Used: Bulk, Tower, Pringles & various toys
Referred by?: Sarah Hickman

Post by PGBrew »

Some of the very oldest Clenport machines (20th century models!) don't have a lever and the only way to access the mech is to take the machine completely apart. Some models are held in place by a retaining screw. To access the mechs on these ones turn the machine on its head and you will see two holes on the base plate towards the front near the shoot, use a long slotted screw driver to unscrew retaining screw to release mech.

Pete
rockhopper
Coin Op Group Apprentice
Coin Op Group Apprentice

Post by rockhopper »

Thanks Pete, will try that.
Cheers, Gus
Vendition Ltd
Coin Op Group Master
Coin Op Group Master
Area Covered: chichester-eastborne-crawley
Machines Used: bulk tower - tubz vending/salysol and pringles
Referred by?: heard about this through the grape vine

Post by Vendition Ltd »

I'm also having trouble with the very ancient clean port towers

What tool does everyone find the best if you cant get to the lever with your middle finger?

Regards

Ross
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
choice vending
Coin Op Group Veteren
Coin Op Group Veteren
Area Covered: walsall, north bham, A5 area
Machines Used: towers, bulk vendors, kiddies rides, football tabl
Location: Walsall, Bham, tamworth, cannock,and surrounding areas in the West Midlands

Post by choice vending »

IF we are talking about the same machines ????

Get a file in the back of the machine and file upwards and reduce the plastic bit that covers the mech leaver. Use a long handled file with plenty of leverage on it. Insistently the snack a can chinese machine once the mech is off i cut the plastic bit out from the front using a hacksaw blade. This makes it much easier to change the mech in the future.

Its a bad design fault i must say

Regards Brian
PGBrew
Coin Op Group Master
Coin Op Group Master
Area Covered: London & Home Countie
Machines Used: Bulk, Tower, Pringles & various toys
Referred by?: Sarah Hickman

Post by PGBrew »

I use a small condiment spoon with a nice curve at the end. Insert and hook the lever and pull down, catch with your finger and push to open position. I've been doing this for 10 years without many problems. Will give Brian's method a try though!

Pete
Ade
Coin Op Group Grand Master
Coin Op Group Grand Master
Area Covered: east and west midlands
Machines Used: kiddie rides, sweet and toy vend
Referred by?: M.Slater

Post by Ade »

i dislocate my finger then reset it lol

Ade