Beware- Your Simply Business PLI may not cover you.

Accounts, Finance, Legal & Franchising information here
Rossi fan
Coin Op Group Grand Master
Area Covered: North Licolnshire, Doncaster
Machines Used: Tower
Referred by?: Matt Slater. E-bay member Slater210

Beware- Your Simply Business PLI may not cover you.

Post by Rossi fan »

Hi all,

My business insurance is due shortly. A recent post on here suggested trying the Compare Liability site, which I did. There address is http://www.compare-liability-insurance.com/

They initially gave me a quote for £66, but then went on to explain that this only covered me for events that occurred when I was actually on site. They said that if I wanted PLI for events whilst I was off site, it would cost more. I was sure that my Simply Business policy covered me whether I was on, or off site for situations like, someone knocking a tower over and injuring a customer or someone sticking their hand up the chute and injuring themselves. I was therefore shocked when I called them and they told me that I was only covered for public injury caused by my equipment, if I was on site at the time of the incident.

Naturally I challenged this and they said they could not advise me, as it was up to me to read the policy and decide if it was right for me. To cut a long story short, I called Compare Liability again and they have a policy that covers you 24/7 for PLI. Apparrently, for the last 2 years +, I have risked my house, because I was not fully insured.

Cheers,

Paul
isladeiona
Coin Op Group Valued Contributor
Coin Op Group Valued Contributor
Area Covered: Central Scotland
Machines Used: Combo, Can, Bottles, Snacks
Referred by?: Google

Re: Beware- Your Simply Business PLI may not cover you.

Post by isladeiona »

Thanks for the info. I am also with simply business. Will be querying my policy now.
Coin Operated Group
Site Admin
Site Admin
Area Covered: Birmingham, West Midlands
Machines Used: Arcade Machines, Quiz & Big Vendors
Referred by?: myself

Post by Coin Operated Group »

The question was asked about benfits of ltd companies and thats one big one!! ...............Limited Liabilty = as in not liable!!! but thats why insurance is mandatory.
Regards Matt

www.easyvend.com
Rossi fan

Post by Rossi fan »

isladeiona wrote:Thanks for the info. I am also with simply business. Will be querying my policy now.

Hi,
Ask them if you are covered if a drunk knocks a tower over and it injures a member of the public. They told me that I would not be covered, because I was not on site at the time. Eventually, they gave me a number for the underwriters, who were even less helpful, referring me back to Simply, because they sold me the policy.

If the policy you have does not cover you 24/7, then you risk being personally sued by either the customer, or the sites insurers, so I am told.

Thanks,

Paul
Ade
Area Covered: east and west midlands
Machines Used: kiddie rides, sweet and toy vend
Referred by?: M.Slater

Post by Ade »

ive emailed them asking the question, but dont see how they can say this? in my policy it is worded `public liability insurance, insured up to £2.000.000 in any one claim, doesnt say as long as im on site?

Ade
Rossi fan

Post by Rossi fan »

Ade wrote:ive emailed them asking the question, but dont see how they can say this? in my policy it is worded `public liability insurance, insured up to £2.000.000 in any one claim, doesnt say as long as im on site?

Ade
I was certain that I was covered Ade, but when you ask them specifically, if you are covered if a member of the public is injured, they will tell you, yes, if you are on site when the incident occurs and have caused the injury. They are very vague and keep stating that you need to decide if the policy covers you. When I drilled down, I was told by two seperate reps that the policy is designed to cover you, when at the site, if someone trips over your bag, or box of stock. The moment you leave, you are unlikely to be covered.

I am now paying £205 for a policy that confirms cover 24/7, under almost any circumstances and I feel much more comfortable.

Paul
Ade
Area Covered: east and west midlands
Machines Used: kiddie rides, sweet and toy vend
Referred by?: M.Slater

Post by Ade »

i emailed them and their reply this: Hello,
Thank you for your email. I am sorry however I am unable to confirm this as we are non-advisory and non claims trained; I can confirm that public liability covers your legal liability for death or bodily injury to third party persons/third party property damage from incidents arising from your business activities; the policy summary definition;
"Public and Products Liability
What does this cover?
Protection against your legal liability for bodily injury to third parties and damage to their property
Legal liability for fees, expenses, damages and claimants costs following injury or damage caused by goods you have supplied, sold,
repaired, tested or maintained
We exclude or limit cover for the following
Use of the application of heat (including naked flame and welding equipment) away from your premises unless specifically included
within the Business description and noted on the Schedule
Work at or in respect of the High Risk Work above 10m, below 1m, involving Rail Aircraft or Airports Power Offshore or
Petrochemical Station or bulk storage site unless specifically included within the Business description and noted on the Schedule
Claims arising from known defects in Products or services supplied by You
Breach of your professional duty to a third party
Property in your care custody or control other than for premises rented by you and personal effects
The first part of any claim (Your Excess) as stated in the Schedule.
Product recall or replacement
Liability for penalties or liquidated damages applying solely because of a contract
Punitive, penal or exemplary damages separately identified in a court award
Pollution or contamination other than caused by a sudden identifiable unintended and unexpected incident
Any claim caused by or arising from asbestos or any product containing asbestos, avionics or computer virus
Abuse to any person ( other than an Employee)"
Please also read the policy wording and summary as this goes into much more details of what is/is not covered
Kind regards,
Elizabeth Coleman.

I have been through the policy wording and nowhere does it state i have to be on site, it states they are covering for liability in rise of a claim caused by anything to do with my buisness, ie damage/injury to myself or general public, think you have been mis informed paul.

Ade
Rossi fan

Post by Rossi fan »

Hi Ade,

Dont be fooled. This statement alone should make you concerned."I am sorry however I am unable to confirm this as we are non-advisory and non claims trained"

They are transferring the responsibility to you, something Compare Liability did not do. I was about to take up the insurance with Compare Liability at £66, as it was cheaper than Simply, but their adviser said that it only covered me for time on site. I immediately questioned this and he said if you need cover 24/7, it would cost more, because their risk was higher. He advised me to clarify my policy cover with Simply before discussing their full cover policy.

Please ring them and ask the direct question. Am I covered when I am not on site and an incident occurrs that I have not caused. Ie a person knocks a tower off the bar, onto a child.

Paul
Snackmore
Site Admin
Site Admin
Area Covered: Leicestershire
Referred by?: Google search

Post by Snackmore »

Crikey Paul its was me that recommended compare to you and I have their cheap cover, think I will be ringing them on Monday :evil:
Rossi fan

Post by Rossi fan »

Hi,
I am glad you mentioned Compare Liability, as I would just have renewed with Simply, thinking I was fully coverd, so I owe you one mate.

I only got to know, because the guy at compare went through exactly what was covered on the policy I was about to buy with them. Initially, I felt sure that my Simply Business policy that I have had for 3 years covered me, but he said thet it was doubtful. I contacted Simply thinking they would confirm I had 24/7 cover, but they could not. The point is- if you dont have adequate cover and a claim is denied on a technicality, Simply are only advisory, so they would get off scott free, whilst you are sued for up to £2 mill. I know that I have been done by simply and am now covered, so am happy. £205, for piece of mind.

Please let me know how you go on with Compare Liability.

Cheers,

Paul