What stock control method do you use?

Accounts, Finance, Legal & Franchising information here
bigbluestock
Area Covered: NI & IE
Machines Used: tubz vending
Referred by?: Google

What stock control method do you use?

Post by bigbluestock »

Just to declare my bias here, I'm writing stock control software for a friend who operates around 100 coin operated vending machines but he doesn't use bulk products, all pre-packed cans.

The software is based on similar software in the marketplace but hopefully much easier to use and web based so he can service his machines on his mobile as he travels as well as on his computer at home.

I'm interested to hear from other vendors however, what software they use, key sticking points, i.e. potential confusion when recording stock in/out, or what you love about your current software?

Features you would love to see or hate would also be useful. My key focus is keeping the software fast and easy to use, i.e. no duplication on data entry, easy to review results etc. but key features that suit a wide range of folks will obviously make for a better product.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike
part-time-operator
Coin Op Group Veteren
Coin Op Group Veteren
Referred by?: Reader

Re: What stock control method do you use?

Post by part-time-operator »

if he's just doing tower vending he may as well use ms excel, you could write him a decent spreadsheet very quickly. data entry could be done through his phone using a number of spreadsheet apps
Coin Operated Group
Site Admin
Site Admin
Area Covered: Birmingham, West Midlands
Machines Used: Arcade Machines, Quiz & Big Vendors
Referred by?: myself

Post by Coin Operated Group »

Hi mike,

Had a quick look at your software looks interesting. An option to enter takings per site and then to calculate vat either flat rate or 20% would be good for me.
Regards Matt

www.easyvend.com
bigbluestock
Area Covered: NI & IE
Machines Used: tubz vending
Referred by?: Google

Post by bigbluestock »

Hi Matt,

Thanks for that. Is takings per site different from 'units sold' which is recorded when servicing a site? Units sold then appear in the sales reports. VAT is recorded on purchases but as you say, it's not calculated in the sales reports. I'll add that in.
Cheers,
Mike
Coin Operated Group
Site Admin
Site Admin
Area Covered: Birmingham, West Midlands
Machines Used: Arcade Machines, Quiz & Big Vendors
Referred by?: myself

Post by Coin Operated Group »

I operate snack hot and cold drink machines
Regards Matt

www.easyvend.com
callmoo3
Coin Op Group Apprentice
Coin Op Group Apprentice
Referred by?: google

Post by callmoo3 »

I was going to do a web based stock management system a few months back but other projects got in the way, I personally use Excel for my machines but would prefer to use a software so I can view on my phone.
Style
Coin Op Group Elite
Coin Op Group Elite
Area Covered: Milton Keynes
Machines Used: Sweet towers, toys, beavers, pringles
Referred by?: random

Post by Style »

I use a bic
alexlg
Coin Op Group Valued Contributor
Coin Op Group Valued Contributor
Area Covered: Hampshire
Machines Used: none yet! (I want to be an operator)
Referred by?: I googled 'tubz vending'

Post by alexlg »

Unless the apps for viewing excel on smart phone have vastly improved in the last year, I wouldn't be able to use them out in the field. Way too fiddley.
An app similar to Account Tracker, by Graham Haley, would be great!
Personally, I use the above but then transfer the info to a colour-coded spreadsheet every couple of days. When sorted according to last visit date, all the 'red' sites (best performing) have to be near the top of the list or scheduled for a revisit.
I have a lot of under performing sites which I never fill up so I also keep a record of stock left on site (total number of pots). But this isn't really 'stock control', I guess. I'm only recording exact stock levels because I met an accountant who said I'd need to do a stock take when I do my first accounts (some time between now and the end of January I suppose!).
Stock control consists of me checking I'm spending less than 50% of my takings on stock and re-ordering when I notice the shelves in my lockup are getting empty.