General vending talk
newmark
Coin Op Group Regular
Coin Op Group Regular
Referred by?: Google

Securing a tower - was nearly stolen.

Post by newmark »

Hi guys,

I've just had a call from a pub, one of my best sites - where they are wanting the tower removed. Apparently some p*ssed blokes tried to steal it, and in case that happens again, they think it would be better to have it removed as they don't want to be responsible if it goes missing. It is quite surprising, as the pub is actually really smart, not rough at all!

So, obviously I want to keep the site - and the pub like having the machine (the kids like it, and they get a commission), so I need to out a solution. I'm thinking of the following:

* tell them that if it does get broken/stolen, they are not responsible, I carry the risk.
* move it to a different area of the pub (although it was already in an area covered by CCTV).
* put on a large sticker saying cash removed daily.
* Chain it to the wall (could be tricky, as it is quite a posh place so they wont be keen on me bolting anything to the wall).
* Put it on a wall bracket? (I have a bracket, but have not used them before, any thoughts)?
* As a last resort, remove the machine and ask if they are happy to sell over the bar?

Of course, none of this might make any difference and they might just want it gone anyway, but before I go back is there anything else I could consider?

Being one of my best sites, and I've not got many machines, losing this site will severly dent my averages :(.

Thanks in advance, Mark.
Style
Coin Op Group Elite
Coin Op Group Elite
Area Covered: Milton Keynes
Machines Used: Sweet towers, toys, beavers, pringles
Referred by?: random

Re: Securing a tower - was nearly stolen.

Post by Style »

I would just reassure the that they have no responsibility as you carry the risk.

Unfortunately we all lose good sites from time to time and sometimes there is nothing you can do about it.

Im interested to hear what people say about wall brackets, ive never used one.

Good luck

Andy
Snackmore
Site Admin
Site Admin
Area Covered: Leicestershire
Referred by?: Google search

Post by Snackmore »

I have one site with a wall bracket, pain in the **** to refill and get cash out but works fine and secure.

As above just say its your responsibility and these things happen from time to time. Chaining is more a deterrent rather than stopping it from getting nicked and lookes unsightly. If a posh place I'm sure they won't be impressed at you drilling holes to put something up that they are not keen on anyway. Although you pay commission lets be honest its peanuts to a busy pub turning over £10 to £25k a week
Steve

Snackmore Vending

Fully managed vending services

Drinks | Snacks | Sweets | Toys | Rides | Washroom

www.snackmore.co.uk 

newmark
Coin Op Group Regular
Coin Op Group Regular

Post by newmark »

Thanks guys, good advice as always...

I think I will just go with reassuring them that I take the risk and responsibility. It has been there 3 months with no problems, and I'm sure whatever happened would be a one-off as it is not that sort of place. The guy actually said to me that the machines look expensive and he assumed he would be responsible if anything happened, so maybe reassuring him may be sufficient?

Also, Ive had this idea, but I'm not sure if it is good or not.... you can buy a simple circuit that flashes a single LED, running off a battery. I was wondering about drilling a hole in the side of a tower, poking the flashing LED through, with a "Alarmed and tracked" label underneath. Would that have any effect, would everyone just assume it is fake, or might it drawer peoples attention to something they would previously not have thought about? I might do one at home and take a pic!

Thanks again, and I will report back how I get on.

Many thanks,

Mark
newmark
Coin Op Group Regular
Coin Op Group Regular

Post by newmark »

Just spoke to the pub, and unfortunately they were not interested in discussing any solution - they just said "once something like that happens, it has to go". I'm sure it was a one off, but even with me taking the risk they just want it out so I will pick it up later today.

Oh well, I suppose these things happen!

Cheers, Mark.
Siting Services
Coin Op Group Master
Coin Op Group Master
Referred by?: Snackmore

Post by Siting Services »

Maybe delay collecting it Mark? That sometimes does the trick too, unless of course they have removed it from the public and nothing is gained re additional sales.

It's a shame when this happens, losing good sites is painful.

Regards,

Barbara
newmark
Coin Op Group Regular
Coin Op Group Regular

Post by newmark »

Hi Barbara,

To be honest it was very odd, as I get on well with the site (I've been in a few times for a drink/meal), and until now they have been very happy with everything. They even thanked me for coming so quickly (30 mins) when a coin got jammed on a Saturday evening.

What was strange is that they did not want to talk about any possible solution - not even for a minute - and just said it needs collecting, and that's it. Maybe there is an ulterior motive?

Still, onwards and upwards - hopefully will get some other good sites to make up for it!

On the plus side, I did lose another good pub where the director did not like the idea of the tower (even when I offered various solutions), and in the end managed to get them to keep a box behind the bar to sell pots over the counter, and although it is not selling as many as the machine, it is certainly better than nothing :)

Best regards, Mark
Siting Services
Coin Op Group Master
Coin Op Group Master
Referred by?: Snackmore

Post by Siting Services »

Hi Mark

In situations like that, my gut feeling is that there is a reason, they are just not wanting to share it with you. There is nothing stranger than folk! I bet they get one of their own in .....

Barbara
newmark
Coin Op Group Regular
Coin Op Group Regular

Post by newmark »

Ha ha, I thought exactly the same, although for a pub doing it themselves I would not think it would make financial sense, as they would not be ordering enough to get discounts, and P&P would eat up the profits. Still, I think you may be right! I might wander in in a few weeks and have a look :)
Mark@YorVend
Coin Op Group Veteren
Coin Op Group Veteren
Area Covered: york
Machines Used: clenport
Referred by?: google

Post by Mark@YorVend »

In my experience it is usually one of three things:

Either someone from head office has been in and said 'get rid of that', as 'it doesn't fit with our clientele'.
Another operator has been in and offered them more commission or a few quid to the manager.
A couple of opinionated customers have probably being complaining about bad 'value for money' or 'encouraging obesity'.

I wold check back in a week or two and if it's another operator, fill it full of trolley tokens!! :lol: