How to tell if customers are lying?

Posts about Snack/Drink vending machines
Lee@BIGBAPS
Coin Op Group Regular
Coin Op Group Regular
Referred by?: Google

How to tell if customers are lying?

Post by Lee@BIGBAPS »

Today a man approached me and claimed my shopper 2 would not open a door when he pushed it, he had the correct amount in the machine but the door wouldn't open.

I tested the door motor and solenoid with no problems, Bo one else complained and lots of stock had gone. Without wanting to stereotype, he was Romanian and they have a reputation, I get it from them all the time at this place.

So how do I check if it's genuine? Just check the logs for that shelf and compare to number of items sold? But if the door doesn't open the item will still be there, would that log as a sale?

Thanks.
Style
Coin Op Group Elite
Coin Op Group Elite
Area Covered: Milton Keynes
Machines Used: Sweet towers, toys, beavers, pringles
Referred by?: random

Re: How to tell if customers are lying?

Post by Style »

I always pay out but whenever I can i do it in products and then take the money out before I pay commission. This way the worst it will cost you is the net price of the product.

Its not worth arguing and the bad feeling that can cause with a site.
Lee@BIGBAPS
Coin Op Group Regular
Coin Op Group Regular

Post by Lee@BIGBAPS »

It was a customers customer, I mean a staff member at the location of my machine.

It was a can of energy drink which I gave to him for free but I'm almost sure he lied. He drank half the can then threw it away. He probably wanted the money but after telling me he tried to buy the drink he couldn't say no to it and instead demand the money.
Coin Operated Group
Site Admin
Site Admin
Area Covered: Birmingham, West Midlands
Machines Used: Arcade Machines, Quiz & Big Vendors
Referred by?: myself

Post by Coin Operated Group »

Dont give them the cash , giive them the goods. Not much you can do really, the time it takes to work out sales etc is just too much hassle. If it happens again tell the guy not to use your machine again, usually works
Regards Matt

www.easyvend.com
Ryanlt
Coin Op Group Apprentice
Coin Op Group Apprentice
Machines Used: Darenth 1066 Auto VIP

Post by Ryanlt »

Doesn't the shopper 2 have a tamper setting?
That may help because every time a customer is charged for opening a shelf (that is, the machine registers the sale and keeps the money) then that section will permanently lock and won't allow anybody else to buy it. The reason this feature exists is to stop customers from tampering with the products and returning them.

HOWEVER, it logs which have sold, and when you open the door the sections that should be present are displayed on the LCDs, and the missing sections represent the products sold. All you need to do if you really want to know if a customer is lying is to compare the product they claim they wanted to the details on the tamper when you open the machine door.

That said, I wouldn't act on it unless the customer repeatedly tried pulling a fast one and you know they're lying. For the sake of the cost of the product it won't be worth the bad feeling as other members have mentioned.
Lee@BIGBAPS
Coin Op Group Regular
Coin Op Group Regular

Post by Lee@BIGBAPS »

I looked into the tamper setting but I'm not sure it would be relevant, this particular machine has two full levels of energy drink and customers won't know which section they tried to buy from or exactly which can they tried to buy, they're all identical. Also the two shelves get cleared out daily so if there's a failed vend one time, the next person comes and buys the same one that just failed someone else.

I've always been too soft and given them benefit of my doubt but now they see how easy it is to get freebies. I will start telling them no more free stuff or refunds so don't use the machine anymore, obviously they will still use it because they know it's a perfectly good machine.

Thanks for replies.