PabloV8Haggis
Coin Op Group Regular
Coin Op Group Regular
Area Covered: Scotland
Machines Used: Towers
Referred by?: PabloV8

Re: Had any reverse vends recently?

Post by PabloV8Haggis »

Lynda, what part of the country are you situated?
PabloV8Haggis
Coin Op Group Regular
Coin Op Group Regular

Post by PabloV8Haggis »

I think you are going to have to replace mechs with the new style mechs, that is what I do for this problem involving sites used by kids that free vend.

Incidentally, on these sites do you have large electrical venders from other companies?
Lynda at skavend
Coin Op Group Valued Contributor
Coin Op Group Valued Contributor
Area Covered: Stockport, Greater Manchester
Machines Used: Tower vend, sweet dispensers, ball dispensers
Referred by?: internet

Post by Lynda at skavend »

Hi, the Manchester area and it is limited to one specific suburb. No large electrical vendors on any of the sites. tubz vending and clenport mechanisms affected, but mainly clenport
PabloV8Haggis
Coin Op Group Regular
Coin Op Group Regular

Post by PabloV8Haggis »

Hi,
Yes, every now and then we seem to have a batch of clenports with mech failure, so we aim to always have a couple of machines with new mechs and replace tower with machine change. Expensive? Last year was expensive with several hundred coin mech changes, so not in the market to replace all clenports mechs. But we do make sure when one gives out freebies, only replaced with a new type mech and not clenports. The mechs cost £25, that is a lot less than the loss incurred if it gives out freebies. I have had 108’s do that a couple of times.
I tried the 5p, did not work. Will start repairing failed clenports mechs in the summer and ensuring that they have the metal spring plate that is used to retain the metal ‘critter’in place, you know the piece that falls out, lost for words at the minute. However, warning, even that does not guarantee to stop mech failing as has been the case with several of mine.
Don’t you just want to put a sticker on the machine ‘if you feel the need to steal’, call me and I will give you £1 for not doing so!
radical.richard
Coin Op Group Regular
Coin Op Group Regular
Area Covered: ST
Referred by?: Barbara

Post by radical.richard »

Hi I have just bought a small Clenport round and when I went around to service them this week, three of the mechs were on reverse vend, 5p trick fixed them. Looks like its an issue with the mechs wearing out rather than any nefarious activity
radical.richard
Coin Op Group Regular
Coin Op Group Regular

[quote="PabloV8Haggis"]Hi,
Yes, every now and then we seem to have a batch of clenports with mech failure, so we aim to always have a couple of ..

The mechs cost £25, that is a lot less than the loss incurred if it gives out freebies. I have had 108’s do that a couple of times.

Hi Pablo, where are you sourcing mechs from at £25 please and what type are they, to be honest I really like the new Chinese ones they are better designed and can stop trolley tokens and Euros as they are well calibrated.

And whats a 108 ? please

Cheers
PabloV8Haggis
Coin Op Group Regular
Coin Op Group Regular

Post by PabloV8Haggis »

Hi Richard,

The free vents are a pain however, does not happen too often. Have tried the 5p solution, did not seem to work for me, can you expand a little more on how you managed to fix it!
108s are Pringles machines converted to sweet machines, they hold 108 pots rather than 81 pots. They do tend to be pricy however, I have about 15 and tend to position them at my busiest sites that are farthest from base. Saves having to visit so frequently, but worth it for me.
The 108s I used to get from tubz vending however, you now have to order a batch of ten at a time. Harley’s might have some. But like I said they are a little pricy. But the fuel saving for me over the year means they pay for themselves. The mechs I get from tubz vending, just about to order another 10 Chinese/twisted shaft mechs. I have no intention of changing all of my clenports as it would not be viable, but like to have a solution to hand rather than a site not having a machine etc. Interested in your 5p fix though, please tell us more.
Cheers
radical.richard
Coin Op Group Regular
Coin Op Group Regular

The 5p fix is simple, I found out about it as one of the second hand towers I bought had been modified this way.

The reverse vend is caused by the bottom right hand pawl (when looking at the mech from the back) slipping out of its socket, a 5p placed over the pawl between it and the back plate, seems to keep the pawl in place. You have to position it in a little away from the ratchet wheel so it doesnt prevent it from turning. The 5p sticks out of the side and makes it a little tight when refitting the mech but it does seem to work, but ideally long term I will be replacing the mechs as the cost of the lost stock is greater than the mech, but it is a quick in field fix.
Style
Coin Op Group Elite
Coin Op Group Elite
Area Covered: Milton Keynes
Machines Used: Sweet towers, toys, beavers, pringles
Referred by?: random

Post by Style »

I tried the 5p method a couple of times and just found the back plate snapped.