Tower top nut stuck

Posts regarding Bulk vending. tower vending and toy vending machines
Quinch
Coin Op Group Veteren
Coin Op Group Veteren
Referred by?: Google search for vending forums

Tower top nut stuck

Post by Quinch »

I have a Clenport M81 that is quite loose as it turns so I went to undo the top nut and take the tower to bits but the top nut is cross-threaded or something and just goes round and round without undoing.

Seeing as this is the only way into a tower anyone got any ideas other than hacksaw the top of the central rod off? I'm not even sure I can do that as the gap between the top of the segments and the locking socket/nut is not big enough to get a hacksaw blade in.

Real head scratcher this one, any advice appreciated
Vendition Ltd
Coin Op Group Master
Coin Op Group Master
Area Covered: chichester-eastborne-crawley
Machines Used: bulk tower - tubz vending/salysol and pringles
Referred by?: heard about this through the grape vine

Re: Tower top nut stuck

Post by Vendition Ltd »

Turn the tower upside down and as you turn the nut does the large but at the base of the machine also turn? If so you will probably see the black plastic has cracked a little and no longer holding the rod securely. If so the tower is knackered so I would just strip it down for spare parts
Style
Coin Op Group Elite
Coin Op Group Elite
Area Covered: Milton Keynes
Machines Used: Sweet towers, toys, beavers, pringles
Referred by?: random

Post by Style »

If it has gone at the bottom a good dollop of super glue could fix it.
PabloV8Haggis
Coin Op Group Regular
Coin Op Group Regular
Area Covered: Scotland
Machines Used: Towers
Referred by?: PabloV8

Post by PabloV8Haggis »

Laurie,
Use a pair of mole grips on the base nut, make sure it is tight enough then you will need to hold the mole grips whilst using a spanner on the top nut. I have had several that have required this treatment.
Cheers

Paul
Tufty
Coin Op Group Regular
Coin Op Group Regular
Referred by?: Barbara

Post by Tufty »

PabloV8Haggis wrote:Laurie,
Use a pair of mole grips on the base nut, make sure it is tight enough then you will need to hold the mole grips whilst using a spanner on the top nut. I have had several that have required this treatment.
Cheers

Paul
Thanks Paul but for once it isn't me asking for help :lol:
Quinch
Coin Op Group Veteren
Coin Op Group Veteren

Post by Quinch »

It's just the nut that turns round and round, the threaded rod isn't moving so the problem is with the nut
PabloV8Haggis
Coin Op Group Regular
Coin Op Group Regular

Post by PabloV8Haggis »

That is a problem that I have not encountered yet and dare say, touch wood comes to mind. If it did occur I would try and hacksaw the nut itself however that is not going to be easy. It could indeed be the nut that has lost its thread or the actual shaft itself that has lost its thread. Either way, I would probably break the top segment and then hacksaw the nut off and replace or hacksaw the shaft and replace as I have plenty of spares to allow that scenario to happen. Besides if it is a customers location I would without doubt do a machine change, if you are not quite ready for that, I would just fill it up and leave alone.

Cheers
Pablo
PabloV8Haggis
Coin Op Group Regular
Coin Op Group Regular

Post by PabloV8Haggis »

Looking at your date of joining you must have plenty of spare segments lying around.
Pablo
PGBrew
Coin Op Group Master
Coin Op Group Master
Area Covered: London & Home Countie
Machines Used: Bulk, Tower, Pringles & various toys
Referred by?: Sarah Hickman

Post by PGBrew »

If it's the nut just turning and not unscrewing I would wedge a screwdriver under the nut to give it a little lift back on to the thread. If that does'nt work break the top ring off, unscrew the rod. you may have ro lift the other rings and get a spanner to support nut on the base unit, to prevent the whole thing spinning around. failing that I can't see how you can save the rod. I only use Clenports and when the top nut sticks the rod itself comes loose. I put the rod in a vice to remove the top nut and secure the rod back in position with the use of a spanner and mole grips.

Pete
Quinch
Coin Op Group Veteren
Coin Op Group Veteren

Post by Quinch »

Thanks for the suggestions. Didn't have time to address the issue last visit but will certainly try wedging a screwdriver under the nut before trying any more drastic measures, will let you know what happens