Money a bit short - what could cause this?

Posts regarding Bulk vending. tower vending and toy vending machines
newmark
Coin Op Group Regular
Coin Op Group Regular
Referred by?: Google

Money a bit short - what could cause this?

Post by newmark »

Hi guys,

I noticed at a site I collected from recently that the coins appeared to be a bit short, the machine sold around 35 pots but there was only £25 in the machine.

Now, I'm thinking there are 3 possibilities....

1) Maybe I didn't fully fill the machine last time. I don't think this is the case, but can't be sure.
2) The coins are in the machine but missed the cash box. Again, I don't think it is this as I put my hand in to check around.
3) Someone has found a way to use the machine without putting a coin in. Seems unlikely!

Not a big deal, and it may be that I didn't fill fully last time, however I was wondering if anyone had any experience of a machine vending more pots than coins inserted, and any ideas of what could cause this (and what I could do to prevent!). I will double check on my next visit to that site and report back.

Thanks all, Mark.
Lynda at skavend
Coin Op Group Valued Contributor
Coin Op Group Valued Contributor
Area Covered: Stockport, Greater Manchester
Machines Used: Tower vend, sweet dispensers, ball dispensers
Referred by?: internet

Re: Money a bit short - what could cause this?

Post by Lynda at skavend »

Hopefully you will find the coins in the rim around the edge, normally in the hard to get to area under the coin mechanism. I often find a large number stuck down there, especially if the site have moved the machine etc

It could be free vending, but they normally clean the machine out when that occurs.

There was a spate of people popping the lids and being able to remove the top pots, which could account for a £9 shortfall, or £18 if they have long fingers
Central2vend
Coin Op Group Regular
Coin Op Group Regular
Area Covered: Kent
Machines Used: Vending towers
Referred by?: On google

Post by Central2vend »

I had an old clenports that I fitted a new lock on the lid.
In the locked position you could twist the lid off and nick the top row..
I had to change back to an old lock to cure the problem as the old lids don't have a stop on them.
Style
Coin Op Group Elite
Coin Op Group Elite
Area Covered: Milton Keynes
Machines Used: Sweet towers, toys, beavers, pringles
Referred by?: random

Post by Style »

Something to make a coin stick in the mech as it spins round can mean multiple vends for £1. I've often found bits of blue tack etc in the coin tray when this has been tried.
Mark@YorVend
Coin Op Group Veteren
Coin Op Group Veteren
Area Covered: york
Machines Used: clenport
Referred by?: google

Post by Mark@YorVend »

Hi Mark,
I assume you checked the mech when you emptied it to see if it had lost its backstop catch? As linda said, when this happens they usually clear it out! I would also think it pretty unlikely that another operator had opened your machine for the sake of a tenner.

I have found once or twice in the past, although usually with M108's that the coins can get bunched up behind the mech, in which case a sharp whack beside the mech usually dislodges them. Come to think of it I cant be sure if it has actually happened with a M81?
I'm sure you will be able to tell next time you go whether something is wrong or not :thumbup:
Siting Services
Coin Op Group Master
Coin Op Group Master
Referred by?: Snackmore

Post by Siting Services »

Most of what I can think of has already been covered. If all checks out re the coin mech etc, my guess would be the coins are still in the body. You do get the odd individual who picks the tower up and turns it upside down in the hope of 'god knows what!' and the £1 coins fall out of the coin try and hide themselves in the hidden depths of the body. Next time you service the vendor, empty the coin tray then turn it upside down and if the £1 are still in the body you will hear them rattling inside, then you will know that they are hiding.

Barbara
newmark
Coin Op Group Regular
Coin Op Group Regular

Post by newmark »

Hi everyone, thanks for all the helpful replies!

I always try the mech when I empty a machine, and didn't notice anthing unusual. Presumably if the backstop catch was broken/missing, the handle would turn backwards without any resistance?

Now I know the sort of things to look for, I will be extra vigilent next time I service the unit. Strangely enough, last time I had quite a few trolley tokens so was expecting that again, but this time none an all - but possibly a few coins short.

Good point re; checking lid too. I've noticed some lids don't have he metal bracket part, just the lock, so in theory you could twist those lids off. I'm pretty sure that all of mine have that bracket though, so if you twist the lid, it twists the plastic locking socket as well, so would never actually come off.

Will report back and let you know how I get on!

Many thanks, Mark.
Style
Coin Op Group Elite
Coin Op Group Elite
Area Covered: Milton Keynes
Machines Used: Sweet towers, toys, beavers, pringles
Referred by?: random

Post by Style »

Does several trolley coin maybe suggest another operator?
newmark
Coin Op Group Regular
Coin Op Group Regular

Post by newmark »

I don't think so, when I said "quite a few" I suppose there was around 10 in total. Rather than being the usual type though they were blue plastic ones - I'd not seen them before!
Coin Operated Group
Site Admin
Site Admin
Area Covered: Birmingham, West Midlands
Machines Used: Arcade Machines, Quiz & Big Vendors
Referred by?: myself

Post by Coin Operated Group »

if its all the same coin then its one person
Regards Matt

www.easyvend.com