PGBrew
Coin Op Group Master
Coin Op Group Master
Area Covered: London & Home Countie
Machines Used: Bulk, Tower, Pringles & various toys
Referred by?: Sarah Hickman

Tower Segments & Sticky Labels

Post by PGBrew »

Most of my growth is by buying up existing businesses and without fail leaves me with loads of segments plastered with sticky labels which ends up with me binning them and de-commissioning two out of every 10 machines. I had a pile of 100 segments to be thrown away.

Could they be refurbished........yes they can! soaking in hot water to soften the plastic labels, if they are 3 or four layers thick they peel off easily. The paper ones I jet wash to remove easily, no problem. I'm now left with the sticky residue always a pain to remove.....But with the new double height product labels available now I place over and cover the residue of two segments. I am now going to all my sites and replacing segments 6 and 7 with double height labels. I then recycle the segments coming back into my workshop and use to recommission the machines made spare as above. I now have 10 machines back in service and a healthy store of spare segements. All my sited machines are now fully refurbished for the next 5 years (I also upgraded the barrels at the same time).

The machines look much better now!.....A worthwhile process?....or do I just have too much time on my hands?

All the best Pete
DT Vending
Coin Op Group Regular
Coin Op Group Regular
Area Covered: South and West Wales
Machines Used: Clenport
Referred by?: Google Search

Re: Tower Segments & Sticky Labels

Post by DT Vending »

Well done Pete, this is what iv been doing, I have also found an amazing product to remove the residue its called tar remover from auto glym and i buy it by the 20 liter size containers.
PGBrew
Coin Op Group Master
Coin Op Group Master
Area Covered: London & Home Countie
Machines Used: Bulk, Tower, Pringles & various toys
Referred by?: Sarah Hickman

Post by PGBrew »

will give it a try
Quinch
Coin Op Group Veteren
Coin Op Group Veteren
Referred by?: Google search for vending forums

Post by Quinch »

I always find if I buy up old towers the residue is much harder to remove as it kind of congeals. I start with a heat gun, the type you can get in hobby/craft stores not the wallpaper-stripping type, then warm up the stickers and peel them off slowly as much as I can. I normally use Sticky Stuff Remover after that but if there's a lot of residue it can take several applications. I've tried soaking them in a bucket of hot soapy water before, especially those massive old Help for Heroes banner stickers (what a nightmare they were) but I found although it does slowly remove the residue it goes into the water and spreads it around the segment including the inside in a much thinner layer so that still had to be cleaned off after.

Never tried pressure washing them so will probably give that a go in the future. Also have had an issue occasionally with Sticky Stuff Remover (since it changed from the old yellow can to the white one) that it sometimes can attack the chrome finish on the body when removing tubz vending type stickers so will probs try that tar remover
choice vending
Coin Op Group Veteren
Coin Op Group Veteren
Area Covered: walsall, north bham, A5 area
Machines Used: towers, bulk vendors, kiddies rides, football tabl
Location: Walsall, Bham, tamworth, cannock,and surrounding areas in the West Midlands

Post by choice vending »

A heat gun is very usefull on the segments or i suppose a hiar dryer whold do the same job. Heat the segment and the lable will peel off easly. Careful though if the sement gets too hot it will be damaged with loads of tiny cracks in them. After this i use a product called strip wax which is a solvent this gets the glue off. I get this form a company called Master cleaning suppiles in big 5 litre bottles. After removalof glue this stuff needs to be washed off. It would seem there are a few simlar solvent products that u could use